Introduction to Good Sports
The Good Sports program supports and inspires community sporting clubs to set up a better environment for players, volunteers, supporters and officials, helping tackle tricky topics such as alcohol, drugs, smoking, mental health and safe transport.
About the program
Designed for busy sports clubs, Good Sports takes the guesswork out of complying with legal requirements and gives you the upper hand when it comes to attracting funding, new members and volunteers.Read more
What does a policy cover?
A Good Sports policy is tailored to your club and covers up to six key areas. Alcohol management, smoking regulations, mental health, illegal drugs, safe transport and a safer environment for juniors.Read more
How to join
Joining Good Sports is easy and only takes a few steps. Register online today to become an accredited Good Sports club.Read more
How our program works
Good Sports is easy to use. Log in online to complete your action plan and sign your club policy. You can progress through the program at your own pace.
Join Good Sports
- Register your club for the program and create an account in the Good Sports portal.
- Start the questionnaire to answer questions about your club. It’s not a test - it’s a way for you to work out what your club is already doing well, and what else your club can put in place to improve the health and wellbeing of your members.
- Your action plan is generated, and you’ll clearly see which tasks you need to complete.
Sign your first policy
- Progress through the action plan until you have generated your first policy.
- Email your policy to committee members or take it to your next meeting to have it signed.
- Congratulations – you're now officially a Good Sports club!
Gold Medal accredited
- Continue through the questionnaire and action plan until you have completed all the actions.
- Have the committee sign your final policy.
- Congratulations – you're now a Gold Medal Good Sports club, the highest level in the program!
- Check in yearly to keep your policy up to date. This only requires an hour or two of your time every year – we know club volunteers are busy.
Good Sports Benefits
When you sign up to Good Sports you’ll become a member of a much larger team, with over 11,000 clubs from more than 100 sporting codes. It’s all designed to help busy volunteers make a positive difference, in less time and with less stress – whether you’re recruiting, training, competing or celebrating. And best of all, there’s no cost to join Good Sports – it’s free for all community sporting clubs in Australia. For over 20 years, we’ve worked with a variety of clubs; from those with a liquor license, those where alcohol is only consumed occasionally, to clubs that are completely alcohol and smoke-free.
A funding pipeline
Good Sports gives you tips, resources and inspiration from other successful clubs to help you explore new funding opportunities. Clubs with a positive community profile can jump to the front when it comes to securing local sponsorships.Read more
Good Sports helps clubs create a safe, family friendly environment. A welcoming club with a strong culture and community reputation is in the best position for attracting even more families and members.Read more
Good Sports helps you attract and keep volunteers. Clubs that progress through the program, using our handy volunteer toolkits and resources can save hours of admin time, so your volunteers can focus on positioning the club for victory – on and off the field.Read more
Comply with legal requirements
Good Sports helps clubs develop a strong governance framework. We take the guesswork out of understanding and complying with legal requirements, such as smoking, alcohol and drug risk management, so you can be confident your club has all bases covered.Read more
Get free access to staff, tools and resources
Make your club the best it can be with access to information packs, videos, posters and templates. Clubs tell us that creating their policy was simple, and it's easy to find information on the online portal. Plus, your Good Sports team member is always on call if you need a helping hand.Read more
Good Sports helps clubs to create an even safer, more respectful and positive environment where players, officials, members and families can thrive. Good Sports is a good fit for you - whether your club has hundreds of players or ten, has a bar or is alcohol-free, is in the big city or rural.
Good Sports is for everyone
If your club would like more details on Good Sports, what it is and how it works, you can check out our information pack. There are printable resources you can share with your members or you club committee.
Good Sports knows that community sporting clubs are run by busy volunteers, and it’s designed with this in mind.
- It’s easy to use, with a simple online portal that can be accessed on any device, anywhere and anytime.
- Takes the guesswork out of complying with legal requirements, such as liquor licensing.
- Saves you time by generating a policy automatically based on your answers to a series of questions about your club – no policy writing needed.
- Needs a time commitment of only a few hours per year to keep your accreditation up to date.
- It’s free for all Australian community sporting clubs.
Good Sports is an Australia-wide program that supports and inspires community sporting clubs to set up a better environment for players, volunteers, supporters and officials. We help clubs tackle tricky topics such as alcohol, drugs, smoking/vaping, mental health and safe transport.
The online program is designed to help busy volunteers make a positive difference, in less time and with less stress. The program takes the guesswork out of policy writing, as well as complying with legal requirements and your duty of care.
Good Sports has been helping build strong community sporting clubs across Australia for over 20 years. Today more than 11,000 clubs from over 100 sporting codes are proud to be a part of the Good Sports team.
There’s no cost to be part of Good Sports - it’s free for all community sporting clubs in Australia.
Being part of Good Sports shows your community that your club is a welcoming place, helping to bring in and keep members and volunteers. We help you comply with legal requirements, and you’ll get free access to Good Sports staff, tools and resources.
Local sporting clubs look after their members’ wellbeing, both on and off the field. Good Sports provides support to clubs on issues such as mental health, alcohol management, smoking, illegal drugs, safe transport and creating a safer environment for juniors.
For over 20 years, we’ve worked with a variety of clubs; from those with a liquor license, those where alcohol is only consumed occasionally, to clubs that are completely alcohol and smoke-free.
Clubs from over 100 sporting codes, in all states and territories, are part of Good Sports. Any and every sporting code is welcome. Good Sports clubs range from football, netball, cricket, and athletics – all the way to gymnastics, dance, equestrian and dragon boating.
Being part of Good Sports shows your community that your club is a welcoming place, helping to bring in and keep members and volunteers.
It can also help you comply with legal requirements, you’ll get free access to program staff, tools and resources, and support with fundraising for your club.
We know your club is the most important thing. The program is designed to make things easier for busy volunteers.
When you go online to register your club for Good Sports, you’ll be able to log in to your account straight away.
- First up, you’ll answer a questionnaire which helps determine what your club is already doing well, and what extra steps you could take to improve members’ health and wellbeing.
- As you answer the questionnaire, an action plan is automatically generated. As you tick off action items, your first policy will be completed. Sign it online, and your club is Good Sports accredited!
- Continue moving through the questionnaire and action plan.
- Once you have completed all actions, you’ll become a Gold Medal Good Sports club. This means you’ve reached the highest level of the program and your policy covers alcohol, drugs, smoking, safe transport, mental health and a safer environment for juniors (if applicable to your club).
- Once your club is Gold Medal accredited, you’ll just need to check in once a year to make sure your policy is up to date.
Signing up is easy, and you’ll have a dedicated Good Sports team member to help if you have any questions or need support along the way.
The Good Sports program is designed for busy volunteers. The time commitment is low - generally you only need to dedicate a few hours per year to progress your policy and keep it up to date.
The time needed to complete your policy will change based on the needs of your club. It will also depend on how many aspects of the program you already have in place. This could include alcohol management, smoke-free areas, mental health support and safe transport practices. You can progress at the pace that suits you.
Your Good Sports policy is your document that outlines your club commitments. For example, the part of your policy covering tobacco management outlines the actions your club will take regarding smoking (designating a smoke-free area at your club and putting up signage). It also covers the expectations you have for members and guests (not smoking in the smoke-free area).
A policy puts everything in writing. Even if you’re already doing all the actions outlined in the policy, signing it off with your committee makes it official. It shows your members, guests, and potential sponsors that your club is a welcoming place, and that you care about their health and safety. In some cases, a policy will also prepare your club to respond to any issues that may occur and gives you a procedure to follow.
Good Sports also takes the work out of writing your own policy – your policy will be automatically generated as you tick off items from your action plan in the online program.
Yes, the program is relevant for all Australian sports clubs. With a program covering mental health support, smoking management, safe transport, and illegal drugs, Good Sports helps all clubs meet your duty of care to members and get prepared for any issues if they were to occur.
Even if you don’t sell alcohol or have BYO events, you’ll be able to set standards around smoking/vaping and drug risk management to build a positive culture and make sure everyone knows what’s expected - in and out of club colours.
The program also provides a mental health support module, so you can look after more than just the physical health of your members.
Joining Good Sports shows potential members, volunteers, and sponsors that you care about their health and safety. And, that you are going above and beyond to create the most welcoming club environment that you can.