COVID-19 update: We’re still here to support your club
It’s been a challenging time for all sporting clubs across Australia. We know there’s a huge strain being placed on communities right across the country as the impacts of coronavirus continue to unfold.
Even though things are uncertain right now, we’re committed to continuing to work with your club to support you through the changes.
Here at Good Sports, we’re passionate about sport and helping clubs around Australia to create a positive sporting culture. Clubs work hard to create a safe and inclusive environment.
Sporting clubs play a prominent role in bringing their communities together, lifting their spirits and creating connections.
We understand that right now, you may not be able to operate as usual. Many clubs out there have moved their business online, conducting committee meetings through virtual chats or via email.
These are great ways for your club to continue operating while you can’t be out there playing.
Now more than ever, it is important to make sure your alcohol and drug management policies are in order, for when the season re-commences.
Now is a great time for your Good Sports Club to:
- Use social media: Reach out to your community (make sure you are following the Good Sports Facebook page for stories, new resources and inspiration for what you can share online)
- Get ahead of the game: Spend time planning future activities or innovative ways to deliver your programs, such as through social media or online.
- Check your policies are up to date: Take the time now to develop – or review – your club’s alcohol and other drug policies and procedures.
- Access resources: Check out the many free Good Sports resources.
Coping with COVID-19
As the social restrictions of COVID-19 unfold, the potential for harms associated with alcohol and other drugs may increase. To find out more and access the Alcohol and Drug Foundation’s support services, visit adf.org.au/covid-19.
Tips to help your club through COVID-19
The below resources and stories have been compiled to help you and your club get through these uncertain COVID-19 times.
- How Redpa and Gungahlin stayed social online while clubs were closed: We spoke to Gungahlin United FC and Redpa FC who took to social media to encourage their members and guests to stay socially connected and physically active. Find out how they did it
- Alcohol, Drugs and Mental Illness: As the COVID-19 pandemic continues, our collective mental health is suffering. When considering mental health, it’s important we keep in mind the relationship it often shares with alcohol and other drug use Find out more
- Alpine region supports mental health of community: The Myrtleford Alpine Saints Football Netball Club, in collaboration with their Local Drug Action Team, has created the MFNC Wellbeing Team to support the mental health of their community in regional Victoria read the story
- Shooting Hoops (virtually) in Baw Baw: Despite coronavirus restrictions, young people in Baw Baw, Victoria were still able to involved in competitive sport. Find out how
- Do you need a hand? – Looking for information or support services on mental health, but not sure where to begin? Find help here
Share it on your socials – The Good Sports COVID-19 kit provides you with online resources that can be shared with local community members to help them stay safe and stay connected with your club.
We're here for you
Get in touch with your usual Good Sports contact or email us at email@example.com if you have questions or need any support.