Fact-sheet: Safe Transport
Keys to Safe Transport
Getting to and from club games and events with safe transport practices is an important part of having a responsible, healthy environment for members. As part of your club’s duty of care you should provide a way for members to get home safely to eliminate any risk of drink driving, injury or worse.
Good Sports clubs are encouraged to implement as many strategies from the following list as possible:
- Designated driver program: Arranged designated drivers to commit to being responsible transport home from club functions whenever alcohol is being served/consumed for other club member from their area
- Key register: All members who drive to the club function are to registered their car keys to the bar staff. The bar staff are responsible to ensure all members who have left their keys with them are in a fit shape to drive home
- Taxi vouchers as prizes: In place of bottles, six-packs and slabs as player prizes
- Taxi numbers clearly displayed: Provide a list of local taxi companies for members to call after a club function
- Free call service for taxis
- Free club transport: Does your club have a mini-bus or member transport?
- Incentives: Provide incentives for designated drivers and bar servers (for example free non-alcoholic drinks or free bar snacks)
- Create a safe transport policy: A policy will help your club identify what safe transport practices have been adopted. It is recommended that you consult and involve club members in this process. A Safe Transport Policy is available for accredited Good Sports clubs and can be obtained by simply emailing a request through to email@example.com
- Promote your policy: Once you complete your safe transport policy, as part of the Good Sports program, it is important to share the policy with your members. Include it on your club website, players manual, newsletters, noticeboards and make sure you mention it at club meetings.
These options make it easier for members to get home without having to drive, and ensures you are keeping your club safe.