Good Sports club commitments
Being a Good Sports club shows your club is committed to promoting a responsible attitude towards alcohol. A Good Sports club is committed to providing a safe environment for players, members, families and supporters. Together, we work to prevent and minimise the harm caused by alcohol and other drugs. Good Sports clubs are committed to promoting healthier, safer and more family-friendly environments.
As the season is now fully upon us, the Good Sports team would like to remind all clubs of some key criteria Good Sports clubs have agreed to adhere to.
- Tap water provided free of charge
- At least four non-alcoholic and one low alcohol option available
- Supply non-alcohol and low alcohol options at least 10% cheaper than full strength alcoholic drinks
- Substantial food provided when the bar is open for more than 90 minutes and more than 15 people are present
- A responsible revenue generation strategy in place, which excludes alcohol-related promotions, discounted drink prices, all-you-can-drink functions and happy hours
- Avoid providing alcohol as awards/prizes to best players, thank-yous to volunteers or prizes in raffles
Keep in mind that cheap drink promotions, including ‘happy hours’ and ‘all-you-can-drink’ promotions can encourage the rapid consumption of alcohol and present a risk to your commitment to providing a safe environment for everyone involved in your club. Alcohol is often used by sporting clubs as a prize for raffles or best player awards. Whether it is a slab of beer or a bottle of spirits, using alcohol as a prize can send the wrong message to club members and as such, should be discouraged. Good Sports has lots of ideas for alternatives to alcohol that can be used as prizes and for fundraising. For more information, please visit the website at goodsports.com.au.
Thanks for the great work you are doing in your community and good luck in season 2019.