Good Sports Mental Health initiative
The Good Sports Mental Health program is a joint initiative of the Australian Drug Foundation and beyondblue: the national depression and anxiety initiative, working with sporting clubs to raise awareness about depression, anxiety and related alcohol and drug problems.
How does Good Sports Mental Health work?
- Club members look at local issues affecting mental health.
- Clubs develop their own Good Sports, Good Mental Health action programs.
- Families join in safe and healthy activities where mental health is talked about as comfortably as physical health.
- Club leaders are eligible for a short course in mental health awareness (beyondblue Sports Club Mental Health Awareness Training).
- Clubs get a better understanding of depression, anxiety and mental health.
- Clubs can reduce the stigma around mental health problems and encourage people to seek help early.
- 400 sporting clubs have engaged in Good Sports, Good Mental Health in selected regions of New South Wales, Victoria and now in Tasmania
- Good Sports Mental Health is recruiting more sporting clubs in Tasmania. Call Good Sports on 1300 883 817 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for information.
What’s in it for your club?
- It is a free program for the club and community.
- Become a local information hub on mental health and responsible drinking.
- Build long-lasting community relationships and make ongoing support and referral contacts.
- Keep up to date with information from beyondblue and the Australian Drug Foundation.
- Promote good mental health with responsible alcohol use in your club. Good mental health builds stronger clubs and helps everyone build their game.
Did you know?
- One million Australians currently live with depression.
- Over 2 million Australians currently have an anxiety disorder.
- All Australians can do something about depression and anxiety.
Drinking and mental health
- Moderate alcohol use can be an enjoyable part of life, but when you drink to make yourself feel better, this can lead to serious problems.
- Alcohol and other drugs don’t help and can make mental health problems worse
For more information on depression, anxiety and related alcohol and drug problems visit beyondblue and go to their resource page or contact beyondblue infoline on 1300 22 4636.