Recipe: Tasty BBQ Burger
Transform your regular barbeque burgers with these quick, healthy and tasty additions!
Contribute to a healthy eating pattern for ALL your players, members and supporters – achieve healthy bodies and peak performance!
Get your club together with this BBQ favourite, or cook them up at home.
Number of serves: 4
Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Barbeque, or frying pan & hot plate.
- Spatula or tongs
- Chopping board
- Small sharp knife
- Small bowls for serving
- 4 wholemeal/wholegrain bread rolls
- 400g/4 lean meat patties
- 1 tablespoon of canola oil for cooking
- 1 lettuce
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 brown onions
- 4 slices (80g) of reduced-fat cheese
- Thinly slice the lettuce, tomato then onion (keep separated).
- Heat the barbeque hot plate on medium with ½ tablespoon of oil. Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes until onions are lightly browned.
- Still using the hot plate, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add lean meat patties and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until cooked through.
- Cut your bread rolls in half and top with lettuce, tomato, patties, cheese and cooked onion.
- Serve and eat up!
- Offer plenty of vegies – include a variety such as cucumber, beetroot, avocado, or spinach. Add some pineapple or potato slices to the barbeque for something extra.
- Use herbs and spices for flavour – try pepper, lemon, and garlic or paprika, chilli and lime.
- Making your own patties? Add some grated carrot and zucchini to the mix.
- Cook up some tofu or vegie patties as an alternative to meat.
- Make it a combo! Add a piece of fruit and a bottle of water for a value meal deal.
- Choose lean meats as a good source of protein – ask your local supermarket or supplier.
- Cook with oils like olive, canola, peanut and sunflower.
Preventing food waste:
- Use any leftover salad items for sandwiches, wraps or a salad bowl.
- Freeze your extra lean meat patties and defrost them as needed.
Some more resources from Good Sports!