Recipe: Summer Fruit Ice Pops
These icy treats are the perfect post-game snack on a hot summer’s day. And the best part? They’re a breeze to make.
Make these at your club, or at home!
Serves: 6-8 individual icy poles
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Freezing time: 4 hours or until set
What you’ll need:
- Electric blender (or a stick blender)
- Chopping board
- Small sharp knife
- Ice-block moulds (& wooden pop-sticks if take away)
- 1 punnet of strawberries
- 2 cups of watermelon pieces
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 cup of water
- Prepare the watermelon and oranges: remove the skin and any seeds then cut the fruit into pieces.
- Wash the strawberries and remove the leaves.
- Put the watermelon, oranges, strawberries and water in to the blender (or large bowl/jug if using a stick-blender). Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture evenly between ice-block moulds. Put one pop-stick in the centre of each mould if making take away icy poles.
- Place the moulds in to the freezer for at least 4 hours or until set.
- For a speedier version, use 2 cups of frozen berries, 1/2 cup of orange juice and 1/2 cup of water.
- Swap the oranges and water for 1 cup of reduced-fat plain or flavoured yoghurt for a creamy alternative.
- Get creative – try different fruit combinations to suit your preferences and what’s in season.